A free-form dictionary to my vernacular

A free-form dictionary to my vernacular: Learn it, use it, love it

Sunday, February 7, 2010

O-mance

O-mance: an office romance. It's that flirtation that you know you shouldn't have with the coworker as he or she passes by your desk. The frequent, casual (yet sexually charged) banter one night turns into something more after a tipsy company happy hour. It starts out as such a good idea, it's so forbidden and sexy all at the same time—the flame is lit and you can't seem to put out the fire. Then they do something at work to piss you off. Your o-mance is talking with someone else, and you ask yourself, are they leaning just a little to close?

When you let it get to your head, it's all downhill from there. Should the o-mance go south, you have to see them everyday at work. You have try to pull yourself together and act normal at the office like the o-mance never occurred. Although, some o-mancers can make it work. The synergy and the common interest at the workplace creates a fertile breeding ground for an o-mance to blossom, and for some I know, it grew into a marriage.

But for me, the thought of such a tawdry affair going on at a work place, makes me think of the Lady Gaga Song, "Bad Romance." Upon hearing of a friend's new o-mance, the song started playing in my head and I immediately began conjuring up a parody song (it's a work in progress):

Oooo Ooooo Ooooo
Caught in a Bad O-mance
Oooo Ooooo Ooooo
Caught in a Bad O-mance

Ooo Ooo Noo Noo
No more office PDA please
HR will find out, so just leave your keys

Caught in a bad o-mance

I want your lunch break
I want your afternoon tea
I want all your breaks at the copy machine please

I want your love
So change your Outlook Calendar to busy please

Caught in a bad o-mance

Button your shirt and the boss won't suspect
Act cool or this job you will wreck
You will not get your pay advance

ooohoooooo oooooo
Me and you can write a bad o-mance

No comments:

Post a Comment