A free-form dictionary to my vernacular

A free-form dictionary to my vernacular: Learn it, use it, love it

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Boom City

Boom City: of course, hell yes and any other enthusiastic affirmation. It is a way to express your excited confirmation and implies that you mean business. For example, if your friend asks you if want to go out tonight, your response to her would be "boom city," which means "hell ya, I'm dying for a drink!"

The word came about in a rather funny way. I was at a work event in Seattle and I was chatting with a group of attendees after the show. One of my new friends was telling this story about a rather unfit candidate who applied for a job a her resort. This young lady came to her job interview (at a hotel spa) wearing jeans and a rather revealing shirt (of the pasta-thin variety) that showed a little too much of her god given assets—and a pack of cigarettes visibly nestled between them. Obviously perturbed at the appearance of her interview, she mentioned something about her unprofessional attire, but decided to move forward with the interview.

The conversation that ensued was not a great one and her getup was probably the best thing about her. Finally, my new friend asked her if she had any retail experience and the young woman responded, "boom city!" At this point in the conversation I asked (in ignorance), "Is boom city some sort of new slang for 'of course' that I just don't know about?" And everyone around me gave me a funny look and laughed. Boom City is actually a place in Washington where they sell fireworks seasonally around the 4th of July. (This chick's idea of retail experience was selling fireworks a few weeks a year from a roadside stand.) Professional standards aside, I decided in my fatigued mind (ameliorated by a few glasses of vino that boom city was my new, favorite confirmation. Its like a whole city of awesome, the whole place is on board and pumped up—it's even more ironic and hilarious in light of my Middle Eastern background. In any case, Boom City was an instant hit and our Seattle whole crew started using it right away.

Sidenote: This blog post has finally happened after a few months hiatus. I am back in business! To which the only response is "Boom City." Stay tuned for more posts.

2 comments:

  1. So I love the Term Boom City, it is way better then Hell Yeah, of course, for sure or any other enthusiastic yes/confirmation term. I will use it and IT WILL spread. Love it!

    ReplyDelete